Crazy Seller and Tenant in West Philadelphia

10 Replies

Hey BPers,

I am dealing with the craziest seller and tenant right now. I was trying to buy a property in West Philly. Went to view the property today, tenant would not let me in. She called me 3 minutes later after I left and explained the seller sold it her as a rent to own and she bought it as a shell and has put thousands of dollars into it. She is now hurt that the seller is trying to sell it behind her back.

Seller told me that it was just a traditional lease tenant. He said that he had just installed some new windows and that he has been putting money into the property himself.

I am backing out this deal. Never dealt with a situation like this. What are y'all thoughts?

Sounds like you'd have a hard time getting the renter out in order to resell, but you never know

@Greg Wake I think you did the right thing walking away. You have no vested interest in this property and unless it is a smoking deal it probably just isnt worth the hastle. Isnt that great when tenants sabatoge property owners trying to sell :)

Originally posted by @Jon Lafferty :
@Greg Wake I think you did the right thing walking away. You have no vested interest in this property and unless it is a smoking deal it probably just isnt worth the hastle. Isnt that great when tenants sabatoge property owners trying to sell :)

Or when property owners try to sell a property twice.

Yeah, walk away. It sounds like there may be title issues here. Even without a rent-to-own contract, the tenant may have built an equitable interest.

Yeah @Stephen Menches even worse, I am buy and hold investor so I would stuck with this tenant that he has not even filed court papers with yet.

@Jon Lafferty Yeah, you are right, he gave me great terms but it is just too much of a hassle.

Good move backing away a tenant that feels betrayed after they put a lot of time sweat and money into a property seems likely to destroy it as revenge, if the owner sold it after promising a lease option

LOL @Darrell Hardy that is exactly what the tenant said she would do. She said if she moves she would take "walls, pipes, and stove" that she claims that she installed with her.

I would have suggested she gather her paperwork up and see a lawyer.

In this case seller should wait for her lease to expire to put it on the market. I've tried to look at a few properties where the tenants sabotaged the seller's efforts by actions such as removing the "for sale" sign from yard, taking realtor lock box inside the house claiming security concerns (which are valid concerns imho), refusing to vacate so house could be shown, leaving large dogs loose in house during scheduled showing times, leaving it really messy, etc.

At this point I won't consider the bother of looking at a SFH property with a tenant in place unless the deal looks ridiculously good, and I've found it rarely does look this good with a single tenant in place.

In this case he might be jilting the tenant, or she might just be crazy tenant whom you don't want to inherit.

Originally posted by @Greg Wake :

She called me 3 minutes later after I left and explained the seller sold it her as a rent to own and she bought it as a shell and has put thousands of dollars into it. She is now hurt that the seller is trying to sell it behind her back.

How does she REALLY feel?

Yeah @Dorian Canelas At this point the seller was saying that he did do a rent to own but she is not paying so he is trying to foreclose but I am no longer interested in the property since she said she would take everything with her when she left.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.