Short sale with hard money and proof of funds

3 Replies

I came across a short sale that can't be financed with conventional loans, due to the amount of repairs needed.

I currently don't have the cash needed to finance the deal personally, as my money is locked in another rehab. I am looking into hard money or private equity to make it work.

I have access to a friend with enough money to work as a private lender also have been approved by a hard money lender in the past.

The realtor said I need to provide a proof of funds. How do I do it? What is the best way to provide the documentation necessary?

"Proof of funds" is a bank statement with the same name as on your offer showing enough cash to close. If you have a friend with cash you could do the deal as partners. Write the offers in both of your names and include a bank statement from him. Or, write the offer as financed, include a letter from him saying he agrees to loan you the money and a bank statement. Not as strong, but it might work.

Ask the listing agent if they will accept an offer with financing utilizing a HomeStyle Renovation loan. This product is pretty flexible and allows up to 50% of the ARV to go to repairs, as long as the repairs are adding value.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here