• Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Oaks, NY
Votes |
New York Market / Distressed Property

Varun M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glen Oaks, NY
Posted Jun 19 2014, 15:33

Hi everyone my name is V, and I live in NY. I work in I.T. full time and plan on investing in my first flip. My plan is to start small and simple (single family) and try to do it right / learn.

Why would an IT guy get into this? I'm doing my parents full house renovation. Have sourced great workers (at very good price) as well as great designers / places to buy material at excellent pricing, etc. I did all the tracking of the budget / excel, responsibilities, project management, quality control, etc. the toughest customer is my mom and for her to be happy, I feel good I can repeat it on other projects. Just need to locate a good property.

I've tried to back track a local foreclosure (eviction today). the workers said it will go to an agent within a week. he said these properties are now sold at "fair market" prices.

Went to chase bank spoke with representative (need to see if I can track down an asset manager). They pretty much had comparable answers.

Found an online chase property site - standard verbiage "fair market pricing"

Looked on craigslist and FSBO sites. don't seem to find anything better than "fair market priced"

I've downloaded the BP Ultimate Beginner's Guide. I've msg'd with JScott and plan to read both the guide / his book based on open availability. As I understand there is some type of a BP meetup in NY as well from searching previous thread - will try to join that as well. I'm very motivated and like to learn by balancing of read / executing.

Would anyone have advice / tips on locating good priced potential fixer uppers in nyc areas? Thanks in advance for your help!