Tiny Single Family Homes

11 Replies

I just read an article about a tiny house for sale in Toronto -

Toronto's Tiniest Home

It's 300 ft² and only 7' wide.

What is the smallest SFH you've owned? [Apartments don't count.] Mine is 640 ft². It's currently gutted and will be our next rehab project.

@Sylvia B.  ,

This is a new wave in the Bay Area, and all over the country. Some people are trading down to more simple living. Cheaper. Easier to clean. Enjoy more time outside. My smallest SFH is under 700 sq ft. There are renting "micro" apartments in Tenderloin of SF around 250-350 sq ft for around $1,500/mo+. I was considering buying a lot and putting a few micro houses (300-500 sq ft) on them, possibly on wheels to avoid zoning laws... But not sure how that will fly either. Technically, I think it will be close to RV parking at that point..

I like it though! Search around online. It's blowing up!

Sylvia B, I'd be interested in how the rehab turns out. Please post some pics when you are finished. Good Luck!!

Oh, I intend to! We should be ready to work on it in earnest next month, and it shouldn't take too long since it's so small.

Smallest one for me is around 750 square feet.. Very difficult one to sell.. The average american household wants/needs a 3 bedroom 1100sq foot plus home.. You want to buy what most americans will want to live in and a small 500 sq ft home will be hard to sell one day..

740 sqft. Rents for $750!

I actually just saw one listed on homepath in my area that is under 300 sq ft.! A free standing single family residence. Weird part is it has an attached/built in one car garage. If homepath lists it low enough I might try and buy it and convert the garage to GLA, maybe make it a small 2 bedroom.

How much was that home in Toronto? I bet it was at least $300,000 pending on location.

There are 300 sqft condos selling for $225,000 with NO parking in not even prime areas in Toronto. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you