Probate Help

7 Replies

I live in Sacramento California, but I grew up in Southern California in a town called Covina. My father called me up yesterday and told me about a house right across the street from our house that has been vacant for a couple months, my dad knew the homeowner who had passed away, and he told me about the story because the owners son actually spoke with my dad about the general situation and how they were forced to move out. My Father isn't an investor so certain questions weren't asked but I would love to buy this house if I could, it would be my first investment. I have access to Property Radar and looked up the property, tried to look up the tax records  to see if I could find the executor but it says they won't be available until Nov 1 on the website (didn't give me the option to look at past records). Obviously if I could speak with the son directly I know I could find out the best information and could even begin negotiations but my father doesn't have this number (i have him keeping his eyes out for if he sees him again). If anyone could help with some advice on how I can get a hold of the executor or find out more info it would be much appreciated. At this point I was thinking about calling the title company or mortgage lender on the last transaction but I'm not sure if they would even give me any info. Thanks for any help!

Awesome! Thanks for the help Ryan.

Originally posted by @Nicholas Leon:

I live in Sacramento California, but I grew up in Southern California in a town called Covina. My father called me up yesterday and told me about a house right across the street from our house that has been vacant for a couple months, my dad knew the homeowner who had passed away, and he told me about the story because the owners son actually spoke with my dad about the general situation and how they were forced to move out. My Father isn't an investor so certain questions weren't asked but I would love to buy this house if I could, it would be my first investment. I have access to Property Radar and looked up the property, tried to look up the tax records  to see if I could find the executor but it says they won't be available until Nov 1 on the website (didn't give me the option to look at past records). Obviously if I could speak with the son directly I know I could find out the best information and could even begin negotiations but my father doesn't have this number (i have him keeping his eyes out for if he sees him again). If anyone could help with some advice on how I can get a hold of the executor or find out more info it would be much appreciated. At this point I was thinking about calling the title company or mortgage lender on the last transaction but I'm not sure if they would even give me any info. Thanks for any help!

Nick, you can call county clerk office and find out about probate count website. Most counties provide name search for probate records. Probate records may have executor info. 

I've done a number of deals in Covina and West Covina (which is, in fact, more like "East Covina).

Before you start to fall all over yourself with giddy excitement, I suggest that you first determine how much equity is in the property. The good news is that it's a pretty solid working person community with average house prices around $400K ARV.

Without knowing the facts and circumstances, it's impossible to speculate any further. 

If you know the Son's whereabouts, you could certainly contact him with the "secret" question, but only after you've done some basic research and fact finding regarding equity. If it isn't substantial, adding the further complication of probating a property could be a deal breaker (at least for me). 

I like the area as it's close to me and I have several properties in the adjacent city.

I would love to help you on this one.  I have lots of probate experience and a very good skip-trace service.  Besides, I grew up in Pomona, so I know the area well.  That was a few years ago, before Interstate 10 became a parking lot.  Call me, and let's talk.

@Nicholas Leon   You can call any title company (your choice) customer service and ask for a property profile of the subject property. They can give you all recent and current transactions. Sorry but no probate status. Another Sac web site you can access is www.erosi.saccounty.net

If you have the the decedent's full name it will give you the "party type" "document title" "book" and "page". But you may also want to trot down to the Sac County recorders office (600 8th St) and using the public terminal key in the again decedent's name and/or subject property address to find current tax status.

To get a hold of the executor/administrator you may want to pull the death certificate. Whom ever filled it out could/would be next of kin(ship)..and then send your (probate) introduction letter..No need to pay for a skip trace service in Sacramento county. "Think" outside the box..

Keep me/us posted..

Mark

Sac/Placer county

Mark Pedroza, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01858403)
1-415-786-6700

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the advice and support. I've always been a bit hesitant to ask for help on here, at risk of sounding like an amateur (which I obviously am) but the response and help was way more than I expected.

@Atchut Neelam- I looked into the LA County county/clerk recorders office website for real estate records and they do not provide any online records so I will have to send my brother or someone down to the office.

@Mark Pedroza -I was able to find a website where I could pull the death certificate but it wanted the date of the gentleman's death, which I don't know. I'll explore this option after I get some more information from the LA clerks office. I will keep the link you attached for any probate info I need for Sac.

@Rick Harmon - From what I can see from Property radar the last transaction on the account was an assignment of his home loan to another bank in the amount of $325k. This was in 2008 so I'm assuming that less might have been owed at the time of his death. By my analysis (I know I'm new) I think the property could be worth ~$415-425k after a remodel based of comps sold with comparable sqft, year built, within a 1/4 mile, remodeled, and I know the area well (I grew up across the street from this house). I know these number don't mean JACK until I actually get a hold of the son or executor and get a look at the inside of the house to get actual construction costs, but I have to get excited about something and start trying to get myself into a position to buy something if the numbers work.

@Dave Metsker - I will most definitely be giving you a call sir and appreciate the offer!

Thanks again guys

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.