So I found a seller of a distressed property not on the MLS. Now what?

3 Replies

I was driving for dollars last week and I found a property that had a for sale sign. I figured I'd check since they said they'll finance via land contract. I called the number and met with the guy and he walked me through the house. Quite a bit of work has to be done. In fact, the property is so cheap that the repair costs is more than what he's selling the property for. 

Being a contractor, I met with him and did a walkthrough to get an estimate of the rehab cost and not really much else. He did however had 2 more properties that he showed me as well. 2 SFRs and 1 2-flat. He did say if I buy all 3 he even give me a discount. 

Now, not having bought a house before, what exactly do I do next? 

Some context 

My end goal is cash flow

I don't qualify for conventional lending due to a myriad of reasons

I have some cash, but having put it in the rental analysis calculator, I don't even come close to what's needed for the project. 

here is a link on one of the properties

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5l2qt361352asy/A2%20Investment%200001.pdf?dl=0

You might try owner financing but if the homes are not in livable rent-able shape then you come out of pocket to fix the homes up. 

You can also try to flip them to another investor and make a spread.

Hey @Ashton Astillero   in addition to what @Curt Davis  said, if you think you're getting the 3 properties at a really good deal and could maybe flip one and keep the other 2 for cash flow, you should consider going with a private lender. Yes, they're more expensive but if the numbers are right they can make the deal happen. 

Find a way to get the deals done!  Consider doing one at a time.  You have  the expertise to complete rehab which will save $$$..if the owner is open to owner financing at a great price go for it!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here