No damage deposit

1 Reply

I just bought a property, 2 houses, both with existing tenants. There was never any damage deposit in the old lease. Should I charge a damage deposit or continue status quo? Not sure how to enact a new damage deposit, tenants have been there at least 2 plus years

Whatever you do, you won't be able to do it, until their current lease is up. 

Before we get into how you add a damage deposit, why would you want to, if the tenants have been there 2+ years with no issue.  I'm assuming there is no issue.  You risk running off good tenants and dealing with the vacancy.  Unless, that's your goal.  If you want to get new tenants, that's an option.  In that case, you'll need to give the tenant the required legal notification, prior to the end of the lease, that you intend to change the terms.  In Texas that would be 30-days. 

There are a lot of things I would recommend you putting in place, to ensure there are no complaints or allegations of discriminatory practices or other problems, prior to any communication.  However, I'm still stuck on why you're worried about security deposit at this point.  Did you not review the terms of the existing leases, prior to your purchase?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here