Unpermitted Additions in DC

2 Replies

I'm considering buying a house in DC that's roughly 1000 square feet, but 400 of those are unpermitted.  Does anyone have any experience or stories they can share about trying to get permits for an unpermitted addition in DC?

I know there are a thousand variables, but I'm interested to know how easy/hard the process was and if there are any general tips.

Thanks!

There can be lots of "red tape" in getting a permit.   It does differ from area to area.    

1.   Go down to the permits department in downtown in your area

2.  Explain to them the situation.   

3.  They will likely come out and have someone evaluate.   

4.  get them to evaluate the process.  Chances are they will hold up the sale

Or, do this.   

5.  Take it out on price

If you go down to permits department and explain to them the situation, get an estimate of fees and restoration, get it written.  

Use this as a negociation tactic in buying the house.    Sounds like a cash deal.   

Medium bannerfans 19631991  1 Gerald Harris, Vacant Land 54 | [email protected] | 704‑996‑6472 | http://land54.com

Thanks, Gerald. It's definitely a cash deal.  Unfortunately, it came on the market Friday and offers are due tonight.  Fortunately, I have an easy decision.  After seeing the property and how low-quality the addition is, I realized the it's not salvageable and needs to be torn down regardless.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you