Chris Hammaker
  • Napa, CA
Votes |
Choosing a Real Estate Agent and Negotiating Repairs With Seller

Chris Hammaker
  • Napa, CA
Posted Oct 10 2014, 12:31

Hello,

I have been keeping my eyes open for a cash flowing fourplex in my area and price range for a few months and recently a few properties of interest popped up. I am using a VA loan/lender and met with a realtor of their recommendation. I really liked the realtor after meeting with him and checking out the area, and put in an offer through him on the property I was most interested in.

I really like doing my due diligence on things like this so I have a number of questions. The property is in need of a new roof which would be mandatory prior to the sale due to VA regs. My agent suggested splitting the cost of the roof with the seller, and putting in an offer $6,000 more than the asking price to pay for half of the roof.

My primary question is is this normal for a first offer on a property that has been on the market for a few weeks and hadn't had any other offers, according to the LA?  The property is not being marketed as a fixer or anything so if there is a major structural issue why would I come in at the full retail asking price? Wouldn't other prospective buyers who know that a new roof is needed just decrease their offer accordingly?  I am just trying to get a feel for the flow of negotiation and make sure that my agent is acting in my best interest.

Thanks in advance for your responses.  This is my first post on this site but I am already addicted!

Loading replies...