Question for my fellow Philadelphia Investors

3 Replies

Just wondering about the 19120 (Olney) section of the city. Are there many investors that invest there? I'm sure it would be more so for rental income. I'm curious as to what are the rental rates and what do Ohiladelphia investors consider a good cap rate? I'm thinking of purchasing a property there but want to make sure I make the correct decision. 

It will be a hard part of the city to invest in if you are out of state and do not have a large portfolio.

Would that be because of it just being a rougher part of town? Or is it hard to come by quality renters? I'm pretty familiar with the area. I've spent a lot of time their growing up and from my last visit I see it hasn't changed much. In this possible purchase I could either buy, fix it up a bit and rent it or I could fix it up a bit and sell it as well. However as I see it even at pricing it to resell at $75K it may take longer than I'd like. 

I actually was talking to a cab driver who lived in Oxford Circle last weekend. He said that he paid $700 for a 1 bedroom apartment. I would think that Olney would be similar. I figure a person like that would be an ideal renter in that part of the city.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here