I want to sell a property 2200 miles away

5 Replies

Long story short.  I have a property in a trust that is about 2,200 miles away.  I need to sell the property and possibly evict the tenant.  Where do I start?  I would like to take my share of the sale and invest in local property.  The house is in California.  I have been reading and it becomes exhausting.  Should I hire a reputable property management company to handle this or a reputable Real estate agent/broker?

A competent property management company should be able to evict the tenant, clean up the house and make it market ready and also list it for you.

Of the companies I've interacted with in my market, I would only trust a small percentage to the first two things and would then hand it off to an agent after that.  If you don't have the time/patience to deal with everything yourself from afar, then spending some time researching good PM companies would be a good way to go.

Thanks, I will research and find the best PM I can and go from there. 

If you're going to sell it empty, just find a local real estate agent and let them refer an eviction attorney.  A PM isn't going to be interested if you only want them to evict.

@Wayne Brooks  is spot on.  Hire a good realtor and let them handle the situation, especially since you are doing this from a distance. 

Best of luck to you.

Hi Kevin,

Where is this property located? If it's in Santa Coara County, I should be able to help you out. I know the best eviction attorney in this county.  If it's in southern CA, my attorney cousin might be able to help. Just reach out any time. 

Good luck. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here