Taking money out of rental houses that are paid for, business form LLC

4 Replies

I own some single family rental houses that I paid cash for and have tenants in. I was thinking of taking out a loan against some of them to get a large down payment for an 8 unit or something like that. My issue is I went to the bank and said they couldn't do it because the properties are in the name of the LLC that my wife and own. Any suggestions? Once again all these properties are paid in full.

Sounds like you spoke with a mortgage lender not a commercial banker.

Go to smaller banks that lend for their own portfolio. You can get a commercial blanket loan or line of credit at many small banks.

Personally there are many reasons why I don't use LLC and this is one of them. The problem that you are going to find is that most LLC don't have "credit" therefore you as the individual have to do a personal guarantee. Which than defeats the point of an LLC.

I would definitely go talk to commercial banks and look for a portfolio loan. That will allow you to put all the mortgages on one loan. Personally we have overcome this issue by putting as little into them as possible on acquisition. 

Thanks for your input, I will have to check that out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you