Full Gut or Basic Face Lift?

4 Replies

If you are looking for an investment property, what appeals to you most, a full-gut rehab or a basic "face-lift"?  Why?

We started out working with full-gut rehabs but noticed on these 100 year old Chicago homes, we run into so many more structural issues than we'd like to see. This in-turn takes longer and cost much more.  We recently have adapted to what we call, "lipstick rehabs."  These lipsticks include new flooring, counters, appliances, removal of one or two  non-structural walls, and  as much cosmetic fixes as we can do. This allows us to flip the property in roughly 30 days.

As an investor, what plan is most-appealing?

I'd say it depends on what you're into. Some people just love the idea of jumping in and completely transforming the house into something that's essentially brand-new. Others prefer to not get into that much work and like a quick-turn better. So I'd say it depends on where you find the most satisfaction. Having done both you ought to have a good basis for a decision as far as what you find more appealing.

Lipstick are my preference but they hardly exist anymore in the areas I farm  to turn the profit I require. Many homes in this category are being sold to owner occupied that renovate themselves.  

Might exist in S and W Suburbs as the housing stock is newer

Great question.  For us the answer lies in the financials & the bottom line potential Annual Return on Investment.  My assumption is your flipping these properties, not holding.  If a  "full gut" is purchased @ a low enough price there should be enough margin to afford let's say a $10K surprise & still make a mint.  If purchased @ the wrong price w/ skinny margins then there's trouble.  So we let the numbers do the talking.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.