2 Direct Mail Questions for Housing Code Violation marketing?

4 Replies

1.  What Specific message are you all putting on post cards or yellow letters? 

2.  how many times a month do you market to them?  

@Gerald Harris (hope your keywords are set up, half the time the @thingy doesn't work the way it should, sorry)

This is one of those groups where the timing is very important. You need to get to them while they're feeling their pain. I'm not sure how you're getting your data, but I get mine directly from the County Portal. I mail the week the violation first appears, a follow up in two weeks, then a final round up two weeks after that.

If their name is still on the violators list the next month, I do it again, but nine times out of ten the issue get's resolved within a month.

I use standard we buy houses lingo (sorry @Dev Horn  , not trying to encroach, but that's what makes your brand so doggone good....you can't hardly talk about these things without saying the name!!) in the first piece, mention the violation in the second, and ask them if they're absolutely happy with house and tenants in the third.

Thanks Jerry

What i your success rate?   and how many do you mail on average?

Are you using yellow letters or postcards?  

@Jerry Puckett

Hi Jerry,

I know this is an old post, but it's exactly the info I need.  Since Gerald didn't use the @, I don't imagine you ever got his questions.  Are you still mailing to code violations?  If so, what kind of response/success/conversion rate are you getting?

Thanks!

Hey @Adrian Tilley ,

Thanks for reaching out.  That silly @ thingy....great when it works....

Yessir, I still mail code violations, for myself and for clients who are able to get the right data from their County/City. The response rate is just somewhat higher than the bread and butter absentee high equity mailings. Remember, creative financing aside, when it comes right down to it equity is the only criteria that matters. If there's no equity, they can't sell at a discount without bringing money to the table....to date, I've only met one person that was THAT motivated. 

So if you are going to mail this list, be prepared with some other exits other than quick cash. You'll monetize more of these if you can also offer listings, lease options or other creative solutions.

The closure rate is a little better...similar to evictions. It's certainly not a pot of gold, but it is a worth while endeavor if the data is readily available. 

I know everyone wants the uber targeted laser focused list so they don't "waste" any money marketing.....In other words, they want their mail to go to only the ones who are motivated enough to sell right now. Man....if only I had a magic wand or crystal ball. I'd be a Brazillionaire!!

@Gerald Harris , I sure am sorry I never got to answer your question, I didn't save this thread. We mail out close to 200 of these per month to our rather small farm area, I'd say we close something off that list, be it a wholesale, wholetale, listing or some kind of Owner Fi at least once per quarter. We use letters. Only letters, ever. Post Cards are way too expensive.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.