How to hire an assistant...

2 Replies

How did you go about hiring your assistant? Full time, part time, performance based?  What kind of paperwork was involved ie contracts, disclosures etc...

I use a VA for daily tasks right now but I'm trying to figure out how I can structure using assistants outside of my farm area. I want to expand and I don't want drive all over the east coast to show properties, take pics, advertise, answer calls...

In addition I would be looking for a personal assistant in the near future that would handle the more important duties.

What and how are YOU doing it?

I would very much appreciate ANY info.

Nathan

So many people use contractors, my lawyer and I felt with most job descriptions it would be hard to argue them as an contractor. Not wanting to deal with the taxes and crap I called a staffing firm, it worked great cause if I didnt like that person they sent me another one after 4 times I find a great person who was with us for several years. We kept her through the staffing company, and each year we made sure she got a raise. It was reasonably priced (like 30% over hourly wage) and no headache, highly recommended but I bet everyone will say to use a contractor, just think if they are in a wreck on the way to show a property for you, will a court rule them a contractor, read the IRS guidelines. If you give them a start and end time, they come to your office and use your phone, file your papers then its a chance you take. Then if you didn't have workers comp and were ruled you had to have it, you could be liable for everything and a large fine. 

Thanks Jeremy I'll have to look into this. What company did you go with?

Anybody else use a different method when hiring? 

Paperwork involved, contracts, duties, hours worked...

Help a brotha out!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here