How to hire an assistant...

2 Replies

How did you go about hiring your assistant? Full time, part time, performance based?  What kind of paperwork was involved ie contracts, disclosures etc...

I use a VA for daily tasks right now but I'm trying to figure out how I can structure using assistants outside of my farm area. I want to expand and I don't want drive all over the east coast to show properties, take pics, advertise, answer calls...

In addition I would be looking for a personal assistant in the near future that would handle the more important duties.

What and how are YOU doing it?

I would very much appreciate ANY info.

Nathan

So many people use contractors, my lawyer and I felt with most job descriptions it would be hard to argue them as an contractor. Not wanting to deal with the taxes and crap I called a staffing firm, it worked great cause if I didnt like that person they sent me another one after 4 times I find a great person who was with us for several years. We kept her through the staffing company, and each year we made sure she got a raise. It was reasonably priced (like 30% over hourly wage) and no headache, highly recommended but I bet everyone will say to use a contractor, just think if they are in a wreck on the way to show a property for you, will a court rule them a contractor, read the IRS guidelines. If you give them a start and end time, they come to your office and use your phone, file your papers then its a chance you take. Then if you didn't have workers comp and were ruled you had to have it, you could be liable for everything and a large fine. 

Thanks Jeremy I'll have to look into this. What company did you go with?

Anybody else use a different method when hiring? 

Paperwork involved, contracts, duties, hours worked...

Help a brotha out!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.