Answers

9 Replies

Trust is BIG in this business. I struggled whether I wanted to post this or not and even what forum should I choose. As a new investor, I reached out to a group that does deals in their sleep and gravitated to a person that is doing what I want to do literally. I got the number and would call and bounce questions and scenarios off of this person and would always get some meaningful insight, this was by far to me my de-facto mentor. I found a motivated seller of 10 properties in desired areas of town. Eight units have tenants on 1 year leases generating income. I meet her (seller) and do a drive by of all 10 last week. I call my mentor and share the details and I am told to setup another meeting with seller to show the properties to us, mentor will pick out some of that are appealing and we'll close a deal. Needless to say my mentor didn't show, call, or text. I went to all 10 and took pictures and lots of notes. I'll be working hard today finding a buyer. I was very disappointed but looked at it as a learning experience.
Anybody out there ever experience this, what did you do?

@Reggie C.  That's too bad Reggie.  This person gives mentors a bad name.  Soe are like this, some are over the top helpful.  I know i it were me, and I was the mentor, I would at least call to tell you why I wasn't coming.

Yeah Joe, we all have these SMART devices, no excuses for being dumb with them.

@Reggie C.  If he gave you good advice and if the deals are good (I know you think they are but the real test is what you get them under contract for) then it is his loss not yours.  Deals are harder find than buyers right now. 

@Reggie C.

1) Maybe your Mentor was sick or had a family issue. Things do happen. Although he could have at least sent a text. 

2) Get used to it. You will find a lot of people in this business who are just talk and do not follow through. Yes this has happened to all of us. @Cal C. made a great point above. 

@Joe Villeneuve  I did better than that, I found a buyer looking to close next week.

@Cal C. I always relish learning something from everyone no matter what, so to your point I did get some valuable information that will help on this journey.

@Ned Carey I have to admit I was bit angry but I've since channeled that into a positive by finding a buyer. I appreciate that information.

Originally posted by @Reggie C. :

@Joe Villeneuve I did better than that, I found a buyer looking to close next week.

Great work.  Now, is that buyer looking to buy more?  If yes, find out what his criteria is...and go fill his orders.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.