Indianapolis, Dayton, or Louisville. Talk to me!

2 Replies

My wife is a psychology major who is going to be entering into grad school this fall. We will unfortunately be required to relocate out of Saint Louis. We plan on house hacking a multi when we move. We should know by March where we are going so that gives me several months to find a suitable home and get to work. I am also looking at the health/strength of these markets and would love some thoughts from local investors. For whatever reason I am most drawn to Louisville. What I have read online and heard on the podcasts may be the leading cause to that disposition. My wife is leaning toward Indianapolis. If you could provide a detailed synopsis of your market/pros/cons I would love to hear from you. Either reply here, shoot me a pm, or we can speak on the phone. 

Hey @Ryan Dossey  - I moved to Louisville from St. Louis and found the transition to be quite natural.  The cities are pretty similar but Louisville is much more personal whereas I always felt St. Louis was large and fragmented.  I can't chime in on any other cities, but there is a lot of cool stuff going on in Louisville and some really great multis near UofL (assuming that's where she'd go for grad school).  Plus it's a pretty easy drive back to St. Louis if you have any need for that.  I think Indy would tack on at least 1, maybe 2 hours to get back.

If you do decide on Louisville or have any specific questions to help make a decision shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help!

@Michael Seeker I will definitely take you up on that! I would be driving back to STL a few times a month for REI still. I have a business partner I work with here and moving won't change that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.