Lawyer or Title Company for Note purchase

2 Replies

I just purchased my first note in Baltimore City. I have to pay back taxes and associated lawyer fees (redemption). This was calculated in the purchase price prior to obtaining the note. I want to now check for liens and perform a title search. Is it better to hire a Real Estate Lawyer or title company to accomplish that service? The lawyer suggest that I hire him and he will pay the lawyer fees ($750) for the tax redemption and walk to release paperwork to the tax office. Of course he will charge an hourly rate (3 hours) not including title work. Or do I pay to have a title search and pay the lawyer fees for the taxes myself?

Well, a note purchase is not a real estate transaction, have the attorney take care of the matter, go to the transaction where the note was made and contact that title company to see if title coverage was obtained for the note, a "Lender's Policy" usually free with the Owner's Policy, if not, inquire about coverage if you are keeping the note. I assume you know you didn't buy the property when you bought the note. See your attorney. Good luck :)

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

I agree with @Bill G.  have an attorney handle this. however make sure it is an attorney that is  familiar with notes and title issues. In My area, title companies have attorneys. I believe it is requirement. That would be the attorney to work with. 

Medium crab1 copyNed Carey, Crab Properties LLC | http://baltimorerealestateinvestingblog.com/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you