Rental Property

2 Replies

Hi Investor Friends
I need advice. I am looking at a property that looks like I could get for 150-160k the HOA is $42. And the possible rent is at $1450-$1600. This property is rare because it has 4 bedrooms and most around it have only 3.
Im planning to put 20% down. What do you guys think?

@Rodrigo Tello  

A useful tool for determining the expected return on a rental property is calculating your Projected Cap Rate. Here at Crestar, we calculate this figure as follows: 

=(Annual Rent - Estimated Annual Maintenance, Leasing Fees, etc. - Annual HOA - Annual Taxes - Annual Insurance)/Total Cost

We tend to use the approximation of 30% of annual rent for the maintenance/leasing fees.  As you may know, the maintenance costs associated with the property will be highly correlated to the age and condition of the property.  We suggest having a thorough inspection done before purchasing the home.  Even still, they could end up being much higher or lower than the general 30% approximation. 

A good ballpark of an ideal projected cap rate is about 10%.  If it is much higher, your investment looks promising; much lower would indicate your investment is better off in other places. 

Hope this helps!

Crestar Funding

Private Hard Money Lender

www.crestarfunding.com

Affiliate of Crestar Group of Companies

Everyone has their own numbers and way of "discovering" a deal. I look at cash on cash. My take away / the cash I out put. I personally operate in class A properties which have smaller number but more appreciation, I self manage, and less expenses. So the key is to figure out what works best for you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here