opinion on turnkey

9 Replies

Hi All,

My husband and I are currently evaluating several real estate and investment options to see what makes sense (e.g. turnkey, no turnkey, do more reits, etc.).

Understand that it's a highly debated topic here on BP. Just curious, if anyone has worked with Marshall Reddick and their experience.

Right now most of our investment portfolio is in reits, stocks, index funds. While not always a guarantee and predictable, we love them. We receive pretty good returns on a REITs without having to do much but write a check. Although, understand that there are a lot of benefits with RE, but will do a LOT of due diligence between jumping in. Our goals is to generate as much passive income as possible without having to do as much work ourselves.

@Patty Tran  

@Jeremy Tillotson  

Jeremy thanks for the mention.

Patty as one who grew up in Cupertino in the 60's I am always amazed were my little town has gone to... Just a note  the corner of HWY 9 ( De Anza blvd now) and STevens Creek were still gravel roads when I was growing up there... !!!

@Jeremy Tillotson Thank you for the info and nice to meet you.

@Jay Hinrichs Nice to meet you!  Small world - I grew up in the Bay Area my whole life and went to school in Cupertino. I try to explain to people that it's a lot different now (there was still orchards here when I was growing up), but they don't always believe me :o). I will check out your site!

Welcome patty. Jay's turnkey site is really good, you can find some good contacts there for sure. I like doing owner finance on my houses; I see you do not want to do much work on the houses. With owner financing, you'll just collect the payments each month, no maintenance. That's the best way to invest for me. 

Hey Patty! I haven't worked with Marshall Reddick (or know anything about him), but I have always been into buying turnkeys for myself. I love them, I think they take a ton of risk out and they are just about as passive as real estate investments can be. Owning property has a ton of benefits over stocks and such that are worth diversifying to in my opinion. Having some in various baskets never hurts anyone. If you decide to go the turnkey route and end up with any questions about it, feel free to reach out! I started buying turnkeys about 4 years ago and have learned a ton from it and still work with them pretty heavily.

@Account Closed  Thanks for the advice and I agree with you. We are finally ready, willing and able, now it's about the right deal/opportunity and taking action! :)

Whoooo! Exciting :) What would the right deal/opportunity look like for you?

@Ali Boone We are looking to buy multiple properties this year, a mix of income and appreciation properties. For the income properties we are looking for cash on cash of > 8%. We are open to investing in different states, but not out of the country yet.

I have also used Jay's site and found it very helpful. Most of the ones right now that I see as positively reviewed are also very active commenters on this site in any of the topics around turnkey investments. Here are some good recent threads on the subject as well:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/176...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/175...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/61/topics/1752...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.