possible lead paint buy or not

5 Replies

I have a house that was built in 1960 and I think it has lead paint. Should I still do the deal or just drop it? I'm worried about it being to much work.

If it was built in the 1960's it might not have a whole lot of lead paint. Any lead paint it might have could be in the window frames if the windows are old. It could be in trim too, which is easy to replace.

Are you getting a home inspection? Perhaps if you're really interested in this property, you could get a lead inspection too. Make your offer contingent on the lead inspection. Say, if the inspection finds a LOT of lead remediation needed, you'll back out. But if it's simple stuff, I doubt you'd mind.

What is the mix of bedrooms/unit? Are there children in the building? I have houses with lead paint but the units are mostly one bedroom units and I don't typically get renters with young kids in one bedroom unit. Clearly you can't discriminate/not rent to somebody with kids if there is lead paint. In MA property owners can be certified fairly easily to do low level deleading such as encapsulation and removal of small amounts of lead paint from non-movable surfaces. As long as certain procedures are followed it's not a big deal. 

Thanks @Nicole W. I'll  keep that in mind

@Rob Beland it is 4 bed 2 bath. It has been  in a family with kids for a while. The big worry is the side paneling has a lot of peeling paint that I think might be original 

Get a lead based paint test kit and test a couple of places.  Sherwin-Williams sells them here. 

If it has lead paint then use it as a negotiation tool.  

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/healthy_homes/healthyhomes/lead

Originally posted by @Bob B. :

Get a lead based paint test kit and test a couple of places.  Sherwin-Williams sells them here. 

If it has lead paint then use it as a negotiation tool.  

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/healthy_homes/healthyhomes/lead

That is what I'll probably end up doing

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.