What do you guys think about low $ flips?

6 Replies

Would you or have you ever flipped a house with an ARV of 75K or less.

My thoughts. Smaller margins. Different pool of buyers. Different materials and finishes. In the lower price point/areas properties could be marketed to first time buyers as well as investors as rentals. 

I have a buddy who is interested in this niche who has 75k on a HELOC.

75K and a good deal should be enough to get a hard money lender interested.  Flipping generally works better at the "mid-high" price points.  

Running the numbers even at a 80% ratio and repairs around 20K, you are looking at only being able to pay 40K or less.  So it may be a big challenge to find properties at that price.

Good point @Jesse T. I do have a portfolio lender who will loan me 80% ltv and 100% of rehab costs. Way cheaper/easier than any HML. I think I would rather go that way so even on a "smaller" house he has less at risk.

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Would you or have you ever flipped a house with an ARV of 75K or less.

My thoughts. Smaller margins. Different pool of buyers. Different materials and finishes. In the lower price point/areas properties could be marketed to first time buyers as well as investors as rentals. 

I have a buddy who is interested in this niche who has 75k on a HELOC.

The challenge w/ flipping a property w/ that low a price point is the unforeseen $10K gotcha that eats into your profits margin.  For us this makes [email protected] this price point a high risk.   W/ that said- occasionally we've run in to properties, that support that strategy so you shouldn't overlook it.

That's how I started...

Still good money to be made as long as he gets a good deal going in..

My biggest concerns were the break ins and vandalism in the not so premier neighborhoods..

My first flip I had to put a cyclone fence all the way around and board all the windows and doors when I wasnt there. Worked ok just a little extra work..

--Mike

I have done flips with an ARV under 80k. Just have to watch out for the surprises and do your homework. AND be happy with making 5k or 7k. I have no problem with that :)!

You guys have confirmed pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for the advice/stories!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.