****Help!! Question…Tell me if this makes sense Please Read*****

4 Replies

Family member is selling me their home but i didn't want to go the conventional route of getting a mortgage to buy the place because it wouldn't appraise anyways due to the condition of the property which isn't bad but not great. Also his mortgage is not assumable. Would it make sense to get a hard money loan to buy the place fix it up and than refinance it? 

Rod Desinord, Real Estate Agent in FL (#SL3255845)

It sounds to me like you're buying the house for more than it's worth?  I base that on your statement of "it wouldn't appraise anyways due to the condition"...

And then you're going to put more money into it to fix it?

Most profits are made on the buying side and you're already starting off on the wrong foot there.

The only way I can see this working is if you refinance it, hold it and rent it out, but only if there is significant appreciation for this type of house in this market.  You might get it to cash flow, but it sounds pretty shaky to me.

To answer your question: yes, that is one possible option.

The question I pose to you is: why?

it needs to be repaired thats why i won't go conventional 

Rod Desinord, Real Estate Agent in FL (#SL3255845)

Buy it sub2, assuming you have the funds...fix it up, then refinance or sell. You'll need 20-40% of your own money most likely, with a HML, if you tried to finance the purchase and rehab.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.