• Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Adding home value with new windows

Wei Huang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Posted May 7 2015, 21:00

Folks - I am debating on whether to upgrade & replace all the windows of an older home I acquired for buy & hold rental.

The home is built in the 60s and all windows might have been updated since then but still are pretty old.  They are all made of wood with grills and are painted shut (you can open but will knock loose some paint). They also are single panel and few insulation issues as some of them have gaps between the window and casing. The wood frame/casing/sill around the windows are borderline passing shape.

The home is value around ~150k in the suburbs ARV. There are 18 windows. Got one quote to replace all with basic white double panel vinyl including vinyl wrapping of exterior casing/sill. But obvious the cost is the big factor here. I am looking at around 6.5K to replace them. Will bring my ROI down ~1.5% (plugging the additional cost straight into the calculation while not considering increase of value or rent). I do plan to hold for long term.

I am getting mix advice: some said keep things the way they are, sand, and paint the trim, fix sash lock, install insulation strips, while replacing a few exterior sills, and not worry about tenant wanting to open the windows..

Then I am told, go ahead and do it as a good feature to attract tenants (new, save energy with ensured/enhanced insulation, utility will be paid by tenant), of course the windows can be opened like they suppose to, less maintenance headache with possible landlord call for window breakdown/issues. The windows guy also told me it will provide ~70% return when I appraise the property if re-finance after repair (can't say I know if this is true? but again, he is the one selling the windows!).

Here are couple pictures, Any thoughts?

Loading replies...