Have you bought houses next to a lot?

3 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I've heard that is hard to sell houses next to lots and railroads. I recently came across a "great" deal. However, I noticed it's next to a lot. Has anyone bought/sold houses next to a lot? How quickly did you sell the house? Did it significantly impacted the value of the house?

This is not an answer, only my personal experience which is... when a potential property is next to an empty lot I glaze over it. For some reason that lot just makes the property seem undesirable (to me) but interested to see the following responses because maybe I'm missing out on a potential grab that no one else wants to take.

@Daniel Moctezuma we have owned properties w/ 2 PINS, one of the PINS being an empty lot, & we have purchased properties next to empty lots.  You should find out who owns the empty lot & if they have any plans.  If they don't have any plans then see if you can purchase the lot.  Owning the lot next door to the property you intend to purchase puts you in control.

It all depends on the lot next door & what it was formerly used for, and what it could be use for in the future.  What is located in the lot 2 spaces over, another property?  Is it in good condition?  Could the lot be built on?  What is its zoning?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you