Advice for new Houston investor.

2 Replies

Hi everyone, my name is Ryan. My wife and I moved from California less than a year ago. I want to start investing but have a couple of specific problems. I actually live in Alvin, which is south of Houston, and need a new personal residence this summer. I am leaning towards renting so I can save my capital for investing but buying is so much cheaper.

Also I have a little capital to start but I am not sure if I should do SF or small MF. I think I am ready to jump into SF but MF is ultimately the end goal. I do work but want to go invest full time. If I buy and hold SF can I pay cash, rehab and re-fi back into a mortgage? I would I be better to do a few homes for experience?

Everyone here is so helpful, thank you all for all the free education that I have gained here.

If I were you I'd take advantage of FHA and acquire your first owner occupied multi-family. Make sure you know all that goes into property management if you plan on managing at some point. Welcome and good luck! :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.