buying my first piece of land - due diligence

3 Replies

My first post, apologies if I missed a sticky somewhere in which much of this is answered. I'm looking at buying a piece of rural property (50 acres). It's been on the market for a year at $85K. I feel comfortable that I could make a 20K down payment no problem, and the mortgage payments wouldn't be too burdensome as I work on the business (the point of the property). 

I owned a condo before, but never a piece of rural land. I was wondering if there are any make-sure-you-check-these-out type of issues. Some things I've thought up so far:

• county zoning
  • county building permit process
  • easements
  • water table (there's no water/sewer/electric)

But really, short of talking to the listing agent who I imagine is primarily motivated by sealing the deal, I'm not sure what sort of due diligence I should engage in.

Some things to consider @Eric Kaufman

Is it buildable?

Environmental issues?

Does the seller actually own it?

Do you have any frontage?

Nearby utilities?

Just to get you started...

Rob, nice to meet you on BP. I have been in the land business for 30 plus years,been buying spec land in rural areas mostly around las Vegas. There are still a lot of questions I would have for you before I could give you the best advise possible. Pm me see if I can help once I gather more info on your project.

Rob, nice to meet you on BP. I have been in the land business for 30 plus years,been buying spec land in rural areas mostly around las Vegas. There are still a lot of questions I would have for you before I could give you the best advise possible. Pm me see if I can help once I gather more info on your project.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here