I have 300k cash to invest. How would YOU use it.

8 Replies

I am 54 years old. My goal is to generate income for retirement. Will have approximately $80,000 a year generated from flips after living expenses to reinvest and also have a private investor with deep pockets.

@Deano Vulcano that's great!  Generating nice income from flips and having a lending partner.  I assume you don't plan on flipping in retirement?  Talk about non-passive income!

Originally from your title I thought YOU had $300k. Partners change things a bit for me, as it adds multiple layers of complications.  Many do it. I have chosen not to.  Many have offered to 'invest' but I don't want the oversight or in the end, to possibly lose a friend.

I like small multi-families in my backyard.  4 unit properties are nice, as they are residential, but my sweet spot is the 7-24 unit.  Especially if you have the money to buy outright or come up with 25%+down payment requirements.  Can you see yourself mowing the lawn (I still do it because I like to) of your little apt bld in retirement?  Works for me!

@Deano Vulcano

I would get over to Charleston and find great deals there... its going to be one of the shinning RE stories over the next 5 years...

@Steve Vaughan

just pictured you on your riding mower... :)  have you ever read " into the Sage"

I do have 300k plus a deep pocket private investor as well as access to bank money. Here's my thoughts:  Buy the first two properties for cash, and 8 more rental properties by the end of next year putting $25,000 down on each with 15 year notes. Take all the cash flow from properties one and two and put it into property 3 for early payoff.  When that's paid off, put cash flow from those three into 4th, rinse and repeat.  My goal is to generate $10,000 a month free and clear on 10 rental properties in 10 years.

@Jay Hinrichs Thanks for heads up. I see a Charleston trip in my near future. But I don't see myself on the rider yet. We are also 30 minutes from Charlotte...major growth there as well.

@Deano Vulcano

based on whats happening in Charleston If I was going to make a move to any market in the country right now.. that's were I would go and set up shop... for many reasons.

and its a really cool town... !!  I was just there last week...its small enough that smaller investors can get in and play.. but strong enough that properties sell .. and rentals are tight. not anything a TK type company would look at as margins are too tight but... its got a lot of room to run

PS I googled your town.. I just fund a deal in Rock hill for a flip... :)

Lend it to me?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.