Single Family vs. Multi Family Properties

3 Replies

I'm new to the real estate investing world and battling whether to buy-and-hold a single-or multi-family unit. 

You'll hear a lot of varying responses IMO multi family is the way to go for:

1. Better hedge against vacancies i.e. duplex one unit is vacant still have another to cover mortgage; single family goes vacant lose all gross income for that month

2. From my experience they provide more cash flow 

3. I can house hack which is a great investment strategy for beginners and keeps cash flow coming while building equity in various properties

I have gotton various responses, but multi family seems to be leading from what I have heard anyway. I would like to know if you can/should use a property manager if house hacking. 

Multi family has been much better for me. 4-plex properties sell for just above a single family property in my area and provide a ton more cash flow, however, since properties under 5 units fall under residential lending rules, generally speaking, their appraisal is based on market comps, so there is a good chance that they will not appreciate nearly as well as a SFR. I try to aim for a mix of 4-to-1 Multi to single, cash flow for now, appreciation for later.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.