creative financing

3 Replies

Hello,

Just looking for some input. My husband and I have a single family home we live in which is 1/2 paid off and has about 10 more years on the loan. We also have two investment properties that have both been renovated and rented. We live in a lake community and would LOVE to get a house that is lake front. Today I wrote a letter to a guy who has his property listed on Zillow but not through the realestate agency although he is a realtor. It is advertised for $425,000 which is out of our price range but I'd like to try to find a way to make it work. I think the owner probably doesn't have a mortage on it. In my letter I told him we are putting away money each month to save for a down payment to get onto the lake and we'd love to work out a creative deal with him. If he were to respond, I honestly have no idea what to suggest as a fair and affordable deal. I have never tried anything like this before. Would love any input.

Thanks,

Carrie

Figure out his situation, as far as where is going to move to, does he need the money to get into another house, etc... He might be open to seller financing with enough down payment, I'm sure having you house 1/2 paid for will help when you go to sell if thats your plan.  A benefit to him would be the interest and capital gains if he choose to seller finance it for you guys.  I don't know a lot about this stuff either but I'm currently working with another investor to buy one of his rentals with seller financing, pretty excited about it good luck, we too are planning on having a lake house right on the water. 

Also I think it's a great idea you wrote him a letter sometimes its just that easy and what do you have to lose, I think if more people would get out there and take action like you they could make things happen, ok ill get off my soap box now.

@Josh Nix

That's a good idea to find out where he is coming from before trying to figure any negotiations. Thanks for the encouragement. It was a little nerve wracking putting the letter out there. But like you said, what can we lose. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here