Dog Walking to find properties?

2 Replies

I was wondering if anyone has had luck in successfully locating property to buy as a result of walking their dog?

Back in 1998 I purchased a property as a result of walking my dog, Charlie.  We were out on a long walk from my home , and it was time for me to return home.  The dog insisted on turning down a new street, a bit out of the way.  I wanted to resist, but said what the heck, and went along with him.  He had not gone potty yet.  I came across a solid brick 2400 sf two flat with a cheap For Sale sign out in front.   Calling the owner, I was told he posted the sign the previous day and the asking price was $125,000.  Inspecting the property, I found it in fairly good shape, but that there were three other interested parties.  It was located in a good part of Humboldt Park just west of Ukrainian Village.  I was able to purchase it at asking price and could have sold it for $165,000 the next month, but held on to it for a greater profit.  The  competition wanted to occupy the property but were put off by the noise and activity from the Section 8 building next door, so I was the only interested buyer in the end.

Now I am living in suburban Oak Park and spending a lot of time walking my new Labradoodle, Bonnie.  It is not my target area to buy, unless I find something too good to pass up.   I enjoy walking down different blocks, and really get to slow down and get to know the neighborhood.  I am getting to know what projects are going on and what houses are vacant, what houses have sold, talking with neighbors, etc.  With or without a dog, walking around is very time-consuming, but can sometimes produce results.  Though it is a long-shot, it may possibly produce results.  And I have to learned sometimes I have to follow my dog.

@Mike NelsonMy wife and I frequently go on "walking for dollars trips" instead of driving for dollars. Best of luck this is how the best deals are found but it is alot of work putting it all together.

Dog walking/walking/running for dollars just in your neighborhood is great too. You learn very quickly what houses are vacant & also any activity is happening in your neighborhood. When we go for walks we notice when someone is updating a property or there is a new FSBO too. It never hurts to get out for some exercise & see what you can find along the way!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you