• Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
Dog Walking to find properties?

Mike Nelson
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Posted Jul 15 2015, 10:40

I was wondering if anyone has had luck in successfully locating property to buy as a result of walking their dog?

Back in 1998 I purchased a property as a result of walking my dog, Charlie.  We were out on a long walk from my home , and it was time for me to return home.  The dog insisted on turning down a new street, a bit out of the way.  I wanted to resist, but said what the heck, and went along with him.  He had not gone potty yet.  I came across a solid brick 2400 sf two flat with a cheap For Sale sign out in front.   Calling the owner, I was told he posted the sign the previous day and the asking price was $125,000.  Inspecting the property, I found it in fairly good shape, but that there were three other interested parties.  It was located in a good part of Humboldt Park just west of Ukrainian Village.  I was able to purchase it at asking price and could have sold it for $165,000 the next month, but held on to it for a greater profit.  The  competition wanted to occupy the property but were put off by the noise and activity from the Section 8 building next door, so I was the only interested buyer in the end.

Now I am living in suburban Oak Park and spending a lot of time walking my new Labradoodle, Bonnie.  It is not my target area to buy, unless I find something too good to pass up.   I enjoy walking down different blocks, and really get to slow down and get to know the neighborhood.  I am getting to know what projects are going on and what houses are vacant, what houses have sold, talking with neighbors, etc.  With or without a dog, walking around is very time-consuming, but can sometimes produce results.  Though it is a long-shot, it may possibly produce results.  And I have to learned sometimes I have to follow my dog.

Loading replies...