High Appraisal

4 Replies

Hi-

Which is better for a buyer....a high appraisal or a low appraisal?

Reason i am asking is that i just got my appraisal report back and it came in higher than the contract price. Contract price $250....Appraisal $275.

I was hoping for a low appraisal amt so i can go back to sellers and negotiate a lower price. Was i wrong for hoping the appraisal to come in lower?

So which is better, high or low appraisal?

Both. 

Low appraisal can be good for the reason you mentioned although that comes with risk. If the seller won't reduce the price, you may lose your financing. Banks wont lend you more money than the house is worth.

A high appraisal is nice because it is instant equity. Your net worth just went up and you didn't have to put any work into the property.

I benefited from a low appraisal once but I almost lost the deal before everything worked itself out.

@Charmaine M. - Is this a property that you are personally buying? 

I'd say high is better.  We recently had a low appraisal and had to switch lenders, the seller wouldn't budge on the price (it was less than they paid 10 years ago) and we didn't want to fork over more for the down payment since we wanted the cash for the next deals.

Yeah that is a good way to look at it....more equity.

I think i am both happy and disappointed on the report.

Justin yes it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.