Family needs help

2 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have a family member who's has passed away over 5 years in Florida. His property has been taken over by his kids.

There is going to be a tax auction shortly. I would like to purchase the property in my company name, this will keep them from knowing I purchase the property.

His children and family members are living in the property.My plan is to allow them to stay in the house by paying a very low...low monthly rent, far below the going rate. I will sent them a notice to go to an attorney office and sign a lease, that would allow them to say there for 3 to 4 years without an increase. I will only do major repairs. Next, I will have an inspector come to the house to inspect the property, and have them sign off the inspection sheet. I know there are lots of repairs that are needed, may be over $40,000! I place in the lease that know repairs will be done unless it is a major repair during the 3rd or 4th year. Because once they know I'm the landlord, One of the family members will spitefully destroyed the place. I know they are leaving within 3 years.

Third, I will have a good attorney to take the cloud off the property within 30 days of me purchasing the property.

My question, am I doing this correctly? Does anyone have thoughts about me doing this correctly.

Oh, I don't live in Florida.

Thanks.

Originally posted by @Prince Walker :

Hello everyone,

I have a family member who's has passed away over 5 years in Florida. His property has been taken over by his kids.

There is going to be a tax auction shortly. I would like to purchase the property in my company name, this will keep them from knowing I purchase the property.

His children and family members are living in the property.My plan is to allow them to stay in the house by paying a very low...low monthly rent, far below the going rate. I will sent them a notice to go to an attorney office and sign a lease, that would allow them to say there for 3 to 4 years without an increase. I will only do major repairs. Next, I will have an inspector come to the house to inspect the property, and have them sign off the inspection sheet. I know there are lots of repairs that are needed, may be over $40,000! I place in the lease that know repairs will be done unless it is a major repair during the 3rd or 4th year. Because once they know I'm the landlord, One of the family members will spitefully destroyed the place. I know they are leaving within 3 years.

Third, I will have a good attorney to take the cloud off the property within 30 days of me purchasing the property.

My question, am I doing this correctly? Does anyone have thoughts about me doing this correctly.

Oh, I don't live in Florida.

Thanks.

Is that legal in the state where the property is located? You might want to find that out beforehand. Crappy tenants/family members or not, you have different obligations as property owner then as relative.

Kudos,

Mary

Mary, I know that family can be a hand full. This is a touchy situation. But, Mary, we must extend a hand to family. This just happen to be one of those situation. Sometime we must do what we must do!

Thanks, 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.