The chicken or the egg?

4 Replies

Im fairly new to this game of real estate but I understand that in order to become good at it I have to get my hands dirty. I have my goals for where I want to be in in real estate but here is my issue. Do I find or save the money first then go looking for a property that meets my criteria or do I first find the property and then find the funds? Witch comes first and what are some creative ways to get financing? 

Go find the deal. If you go out and find the money first, you have no deals for them. Finding money doesn't make you money. Finding deals makes you money

Find the money first.  I can guarantee you that there are deals out there for you, but I can't guarantee you that there is money out there for you -- you need to figure out if the money is out there, and if it is, where it's coming from, how much it is and what the requirements are for getting it.

Then you'll know what kinds of houses you should be looking for, and you'll be prepared when you actually find one.

While I'm a big believer that the money will always be there if the deal is good enough, if you don't know how to find the money, you may lose the deal while you're looking for it (and then you've hurt both the seller and yourself).

Thank you guys so much for your help

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.