Jersey City Heights

3 Replies

I'm a new investor looking in the JC Heights neighborhood. Currently, I'm a hoboken resident and am familiar with the area. 

I'm looking to connect with current JC Heights investors that I can bounce a few questions off of before I jump into that market.

Thanks!

@Ryan Goldfarb Anyone know how the zoning department in Jersey city works. I am looking to buy a 2 family that has an extra unit with multiple windows, ventilation and a legit living space. I would like to get details on obtaining a certificate of occupancy or green card. Please advise on what the process is and cost

@Ruchi Patel --

The Green Card is handled by the NJ Dept. of Community Affairs (DCA), which is a state level agency.

From a City standpoint, you'll have a number of hurdles, both zoning and building related.

The property's zoning designation may not permit a 3-family use as of right (per the current zoning code), so in order for them to allow a conditional 3-family use, you'd need a variance.

If they grant the variance (which is a process in and of itself), you will likely face challenges from a building standpoint as well as they may require you to bring certain elements of the building up to code (i.e., fire suppression / sprinkler system).