Combining 9-5 With Real Estate Investing?

3 Replies

I am a new 21 year old investor who is eager to learn. However, I know that jobs take most of your time. What is the best 'Real Estate Job' where I can get paid, and still be learning and growing in Real Estate Investing ? I have heard that being a Real Estate Agent is a different mentality than hanging around investors.  

When you are a real estate agent you will be working independently. You will be able to allocate your time the way you wish. If you want to meet investors find some REIAs and attend meetings. Most agents do not invest themselves; many do. As an agent you will have an excellent opportunity to learn specific markets and the mechanics of a purchase/sale transaction. Make yourself useful to some investors and you may be able to learn very quickly.

This is certainly not the only path toward real estate investing. Spend some time reading the threads here and look at the backgrounds of those who post. You will find quite a variety. I doubt if there are many professions or occupations that aren't represented. Me, I started my professional career as a nuclear pharmacist, probably not the most common path. Real estate has been my primary source of income for quite a while.

Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz :

When you are a real estate agent you will be working independently. You will be able to allocate your time the way you wish. If you want to meet investors find some REIAs and attend meetings. Most agents do not invest themselves; many do. As an agent you will have an excellent opportunity to learn specific markets and the mechanics of a purchase/sale transaction. Make yourself useful to some investors and you may be able to learn very quickly.

This is certainly not the only path toward real estate investing. Spend some time reading the threads here and look at the backgrounds of those who post. You will find quite a variety. I doubt if there are many professions or occupations that aren't represented. Me, I started my professional career as a nuclear pharmacist, probably not the most common path. Real estate has been my primary source of income for quite a while.

Thanks for the reply !

Think about your long-term path. Do you want to flip? Get involved with with an inspector, contractor, or other tradesman. Do you want to buy/hold? Get your license and work with investors or become a property manger. You will deal with them daily.

Until you have a focus you should learn about the various areas of real estate investing and decided which attracts you the most. You've essentially just asked us, "I want to go to college, what's the best degree?" You won't know that until you know what you want to become and where your passion is!