Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Justin Hennig
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Real Estate agent...Sign Exclusivity or not?

Justin Hennig
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Nov 30 2015, 23:25
What would you do? I'm looking to utilize a professional real estate agent to help find another great multi-family property for either buy/hold or better yet, rehab/refi/hold (BRRRR) What's more effective?: A: sign an exclusivity deal with a real estate agent and have them hustle for the commission B: Do your own looking (MLS, networking, driving for dollars, etc) and either approach private FSBO sellers and/or listing agents who know they'll get double commission if they work with you as an unrepresented buyer? Have 2 major concerns about option A; Concern #1: I'm afraid in option A if I find a property myself (especially unlisted/off-market) the agent will want credit (I'm constantly looking for the next diamond in the rough and had a situation like this happen once before...was one too many times). Concern #2: I'm looking at everything from duplexes up to 12 units...in my experience agents seem to specialize; some are residential, some commercial and there is usually a clear cutoff point between 1-4 unit and 5+ unit. Commercial agents don't generally find 2-4 units, and residential agents don't usually deal in apartment buildings. Could I sign exclusivity as long as it's just to a certain # of units? (Do agents even do this?) I've been trying option B and been on a cold streak for a couple months now. As always, any help is much appreciated! Thank you!!!
Lynnhurst Holdings LLC Logo

Loading replies...