Setting up a LLC in Maryland vs British Virgin Island

5 Replies

I am a real newbie real estate investor. My friend and I are planing to set up a LLC in Maryland or Virgin Island. Does anyone know pros and cons for a foreign country based company doing active investing in state of Maryland in the U.S. Plus what would be pros and cons for doing real state investing as a LLC entity in Maryland. I like to hear about factual information more than subjective thoughts about the topic.

You wouldn't be able to do any real estate investing in Maryland with just the alien corporation. It would have to obtain a Certificate of Authority to do business in Maryland, pay taxes in Maryland on the money it earns here and the cost to do all of this is the same $300 a year you'd pay for just a Maryland LLC. There's no business purpose to structuring the company your way that I can think of.

@Hyungwook Lee I see this is our first post so welcome to BP. 

i will second what @JR T. In order for your LLC created out of state to do business in MD it needs to registered in MD. Title companies will check to see if your company is registered in MD when buying or selling property here.

You don't want to learn about Maryland's non-resident withholding laws as you go. Or federal for that matter.

This is a no-brainer... form your LLC in MD if that's where you'll be investing.

@Hyungwook Lee   To me it would depend on how much income you are talking about.  If I was going to generate a large amount of income in Maryland, I would talk to a good tax attorney.  A more complex strategy might be a better fit.

If you are talking about a few rent houses it would probably not be worth the trouble to have a complex system that will increase the reporting requirements.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.