Private Lenders vs. Hard Money Lender

5 Replies

Greetings,

As a "newbie" who is rebounding from my first REI non-deal, I am treading the waters once again and working on flipping my REI deal by December 16, 2016. Here's my question: "What is the difference between a Private Lender and a Hard Money Lender?" Thank you in advance for your response.

May we all have Bigger Pockets!

Welcome! If you search the site for "private lender vs hard money" you'll come up with a number of threads that discuss the difference, here's one https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/72685-private-lender-vs-hard-money-lender

From a borrower perspective it's all about the cost of money (points, rates, terms) and the risk level (will they foreclose on you, will it ruin your friendship).  Tell us more about your deal.

Private lenders are friends/family/people you know who choose to invest in you. You have more flexibility to negotiate good deals here.

Hard money lenders are lending companies or sometime individuals that lend to you over a short period at a high interest rate.

I'm Las Vegas and will gladly assist you with explaining the differences and the similarities .  Reach out anytime.

Originally posted by @Ifayomi OmiMeje :

@Micki M.  and @Charlie Fitzgerald thank you for your immediate response. The link your included Micki helped a lot, I will be in touch. @Rosston Smith thank you too. I got it!

May we all have Bigger Pockets!!!!

You're welcome! Let me know if you have any questions! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here