"Reserving Mineral Rights"

3 Replies

Recently placed an offer on a small multifamily property that was off market. Offer was accepted and papers ready to sign. While reviewing documents I see seller is "reserving mineral rights". Has anyone ran into this same situation? Is this or would this be a deal breaker for you?

(817) 691-8361

@Michael Clevenger

Everything is negotiable.  With that being said as a buyer I don't calculate minerals with my offers but see them as an added bonus if transferred.  When I'm the seller I always retain minerals.  If your numbers work try negotiating more but don't let this be a deal breaker.

on small lots I think is a waste of energy and time ... they are not worth anything.

now your talking ranch land and that's a whole nother meat ball..  absolutely no reason not to by the property... although I know with slant drilling these days you can have someone drilling under you that is 5 miles away...

@Rocky V. & @Jay Hinrichs

Thank you both for responding. After putting the deal on hold, I came back with a lower offer. They countered and a deal has been struck. Signing papers later this week (hopefully). 

In the future I'll do as yall have done and assume the property does not come with mineral rights. I'm a newbie and would have never questioned it but they had a full page disclosure regarding the reserve.

Thanks again!

(817) 691-8361

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.