"Reserving Mineral Rights"

3 Replies

Recently placed an offer on a small multifamily property that was off market. Offer was accepted and papers ready to sign. While reviewing documents I see seller is "reserving mineral rights". Has anyone ran into this same situation? Is this or would this be a deal breaker for you?

@Michael Clevenger

Everything is negotiable.  With that being said as a buyer I don't calculate minerals with my offers but see them as an added bonus if transferred.  When I'm the seller I always retain minerals.  If your numbers work try negotiating more but don't let this be a deal breaker.

on small lots I think is a waste of energy and time ... they are not worth anything.

now your talking ranch land and that's a whole nother meat ball..  absolutely no reason not to by the property... although I know with slant drilling these days you can have someone drilling under you that is 5 miles away...

@Rocky V. & @Jay Hinrichs

Thank you both for responding. After putting the deal on hold, I came back with a lower offer. They countered and a deal has been struck. Signing papers later this week (hopefully). 

In the future I'll do as yall have done and assume the property does not come with mineral rights. I'm a newbie and would have never questioned it but they had a full page disclosure regarding the reserve.

Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here