2 bedroom 1 bath Standalone Home

2 Replies

Hi All,

I have some equity built up in my small 2 bedroom 1 bath condo that I am looking to sell and hopefully buy two single family homes or a multi-family home.

Does anyone have any experience with small standalone homes? 

Ideally, I would be looking at 3 bedroom 2 bath homes, but in the Portland, OR, market with my budget I would only be able to buy a home in an area I am not looking to invest. There are, however, several options for 2 bedroom 1 bath homes with a large yard.

My plan would be to live in one home for a year, put in a little sweat equity, and then rent it out as I moved to a larger home. I am worried about resale value as well as the number of renters who would be looking for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom standalone home.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks so much!     

most of my rentals are 2/1's and they rent fine to young couples without kids . My rent multiples are the same or better than comparable 3/2's considering PP and ARV. In a market with inventory the lower desirability may affect the price, in Portland not so much.

@Matt Kitto , I see 2bed 1 bath houses renting great in the Portland area. They aren't quite up where a 3/2 would be, but 2/1 seem to attract young couples or small families. I think they make great investment properties and you won't have any issues finding tenants for them

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here