Awkward situation with real estate assistant

3 Replies

I belong to a local landlord association. I am ready to purchase my first rental property. I reached out to a real estate agent who is also a member and asked him for assistance and to be my agent. Instead, he referred me to his assistant in which I can sense does not have a lot of experience. I had requested that the assistant to forward me automatic MLS updates. She has has sent me only four listings. Haven't heard from her since. I also feel slighted because I wanted to work directly with him, because this will be my first time and he could also mentor me in the process. There is no room for a lot of errors. How do I go about the situation without hurting the assistant's feelings.

@Yvonne Oliea

Relationships go both ways. Perhaps when you see that realtor again, you could ask the agent in a non-confrontation and explain your desire to work with him directly and not the assistant. 

If there is no reciprocity from the agent, move on to the others. 

This is a business, don't take anything personal and you can't make everyone happy. 

Originally posted by @Yvonne Oliea :

I belong to a local landlord association. I am ready to purchase my first rental property. I reached out to a real estate agent who is also a member and asked him for assistance and to be my agent. Instead, he referred me to his assistant in which I can sense does not have a lot of experience. I had requested that the assistant to forward me automatic MLS updates. She has has sent me only four listings. Haven't heard from her since. I also feel slighted because I wanted to work directly with him, because this will be my first time and he could also mentor me in the process. There is no room for a lot of errors. How do I go about the situation without hurting the assistant's feelings.

I experienced the same thing with the exception that I was not looking for a mentor but a seasoned agent that dealt with specifics like foreclosure, short sales, etc. I found someone who advertised himself in this way and had a few conversations with him and told him exactly what I was looking for. Well only to find that he also referred me to his "sales" agent that works with him and said she would be helping with properties. I said ok at first and with some hesitation but that person and I didn't hit it off at all and it didn't take long to figure it out. When I told him of this mis-pairing he understood as his sales agent also made certain references that I thought unnecessary. Not personal to me but just about their representation, investors, etc. Regardless, don't take it personal and find someone that meshes with what you are looking for.

Thank you Chris.  His response  should be  interesting. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.