What does this sign mean????

4 Replies

Looked at a house that has some potential for the BRRRR strategy but have a question i'm hoping someone has some experience with....

Its a bank owned property (REO) and they slapped a quick coat of paint on basically the entire interior, then put this sign up everywhere. Has anyone else seen this before? I asked the selling agent if it might be mold but she says that she asked the bank but they're not giving her any answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciate, looking to make an offer.

Thanks,

Dave

@Dave Grimson
I have never saw this sign before but my guess is that it is the bank's way of saying that they do not certify anything that was covered with the fresh coat of paint. My guess is that it could be lead based paint. How old is the house? If it is pre 1970, then I would say there is a good chance of lead based paint being covered. This is how most cover lead based paint but the bank might be saying that they do not guarantee anything. Typical of big industry

Again, this is my guess. Hope this helps

Shaun, Lead was my initial thought but the home was built in 1980 so thats ruled out.

So, in my eyes, that only leaves mold - however, i didnt see any sign of water damage during my first walk through

They are telling you there was a "discoloration, that may, or may not, have been mold" and letting you know that no mold remediation was done, in other words....."you've been warned".

Thanks Wayne, appreciate the response, sounds like the bank just wants to cover their own ***.  I think i'll need to get an expert in there to check it out

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.