Quadplex purchase advice (first time poster/newbie investor)

4 Replies

Hi, I am a new investor and I couldn't be more excited to have found BP and the wealth of information found here. You guys have been so helpful and informative.

So here's my question:

As previously stated, I am new to this. I work a decent paying full time job with only a mortgage for debt but want to invest wisely and agressively. I am reading, listening and watching as much as possible to gain as much knowledge as I can. I am in search of my first "deal". A quadplex just came on the market yesterday and I want to know what would be a reasonable purchase offer in order for it to be considered a wise investment.

Here are the details:

Asking price: $200,000

Average annual taxes: $4,000

Owner pays water/trash: $130/month

Two units are 1/1/1

The other two are 2/1/1

Current occupancy 100%

Current gross income $2,660

Property is in good condition but value could potentially be increased with minor improvements.

I hope I have enough info. Please, feel free to say what comes to mind. I am more than open to advice and opinions. Also, I would like some beginner buy/hold real estate investing book recommendations. I have read a few but don't know what to read next.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

-Braun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOR9mYk0Vs

Braun:

By what you have posted this seems tighter than I would want unless the seller would take a sizable discount.  Not sure if you have used the BP multi-family calculator but you should give it a try for this a a few other properties.

There are so very many great resources here 

Ruth, thank you very much for the book and link recommendations!

Bernie, I did use the calculator provided and saw that my numbers were indeed a little too tight. I suppose I need to further my education to determine what numbers and percentages I need to consider before jumping into this. Thanks for taking the time to give advice! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.