• Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Votes |
WARNING!! and help please

Justin R.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Posted Dec 5 2016, 08:01

I recently became victim to a complex real estate wire fraud scandal. I am writing this first of and foremost to get the word out there so no-one else follows in my footsteps. At the same time, if anyone has any suggestions of what I can do at this point please steer me a the right direction.

I live in the state of California and three weeks ago I was purchasing a home in the state of Georgia. According the law enforcement, my Real estate agents email (unsecured Gmail account) had been compromised prior to our escrow. During the closing period, a scam artist initiated contact with the closing Attorney and identified themselves as me.

Once they had created a communication thread with the closing they were then able to subsequently email me and act as if they were the closing attorney. They were able to appear very professional and answer all of the correct "lingo" because they were simply copy and pasting the words and acting as an "intermediary" back and forth. I therefore never had any "real" communication with the closing attorney because I was just replying to their initial email. The scam artist simply took everyones email address, and changed it by one letter.

When the closing attorney sent the wire instructions, they were manipulated and the checking and routing numbers were changed to a fraudulent account. Unfortunately, I lost a great deal of money on this scam. The FBI just let me know I have no chance of getting my money back due to the funds changing hands thru so many "mules" almost instantly. 

At this point both my agent and closing attorney have been supportive, but take absolutely no fault in their actions. My agents email was the only one that was hacked, and the closing attorney was the first one who took the bait, and never had any real communication with me.

Please be warned of this scam and never do any important transactions with industry professionals who do not use a secured source communication. In addition, alway ensure you pick up the phone and repeat account numbers with closing attorney/title company. If anyone has ANY suggestions of what I can do civilly, etc, please contact me. I have talked with a few attorneys, but none of the have any experience with this type of fraud. Is it business malpractice, litigation, wire fraud, they all say this is beyond their "scope."

Be aware, and please help

Thanks,

Justin

Loading replies...