Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Toyin Dawodu
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
WHY DO 95% OF REAL ESTATE INVESTORS FAIL?

Toyin Dawodu
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Posted Feb 13 2017, 08:13

I still find this hard to believe. 95% of would be real estate investors never buy a single house. A few months ago, I ran into a lady who has been going to seminars and REIA for more than ten years. I asked her how many properties she has bought and was shocked to learn.. None... not a single property in 10 years?

Then I begin to research the industry. I found out the failure rate is 95%. Can you imagine if our schools have a 95%

Everyday I ask myself why the failure rate is so high. How is it some many fail in spite of all the information and all the help. Or is there really any help out there? Are the Gurus doing their jobs? or is it the students that are failing the Gurus?

Let's talk about it. Maybe we can help a lot of people on this Bigger Pockets platform.

So if you are an experienced investor, flipper, or buy and hold person? What would you consider the reason for your success?

If you are a newbie or old timer who is really struggling to break through in this business, what do you think is the reason so many don't make it?

Here's my secret sauce. From day one I treated my involvement in real estate as a real business.

This means, I had an advertising budget, a lead generating and follow up process, a back end process and money source and above all an experienced mentor.  My first ad budget was $295.00 credit I got from my local news paper. 

The combination of all the above puts me shoulders above majority of the investors.

After more than 450 deals, everything just seems to fall in place, abundance of leads and lenders throwing money at me.

I actually believe this is possible for a lot of people in our industry. But they probably have to diagnose their problems first.

So what is the real reason 95% of the people fail in as real estate investors? Let's talk.

User Stats

Votes
Elbert D.
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 13 2017, 08:29

Because they get discouraged and quit. That's the only time you fail at something. Everything else is learning.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Feb 13 2017, 08:31

I don't think 95% fail, I think a vast majority of that don't try.  These guru's pitch get rick quick with no money down, so people "want to be investors" but fail to start because they had unrealistic expectations from day 1.  

I have only been doing this for 5 years but what I have learnt is that it takes money to make money.  I get asked all the time, what can I do with $10k and my answer is "save more"  At least in my world of buy and hold $10k is not going to do much.  

I invest in an A/B area with an average purchase price of $500k.  Most people I know start with low money down programs so they can get away with a initial capital investment of around $25k but you also need reserves.  In this type of area having just 1 or 2 properties is ok because your tenant base is higher end and more stable. 

I also invest in a B/C area with an average purchase price of $80k.  So your $10k could get you a property but what you don't think about is the tenant class is lower and the ups and downs are more frequent.  I have seen many investors fail here because they only have 1 or 2 properties and when the downturns happen it kills them,  So you are going to need more money and more properties to balance out the ups and downs.

Investing takes time, it doesn't happen overnight, and I think people fail to keep with it when it doesn't happen immediately.  It also takes sacrifice.  Do you eat out for lunch every day, get coffee twice a day, have a new fancy car, and buy the latest trends?  If you live paycheck to paycheck and do all this you are never going to become an investor because you aren't willing to change your lifestyle now for something you can have in a few years.  It could take years of sacrifice and saving to get into this game and most people don't want to wait that long.  

If it was easy to take $1k and turn it into $10k easily with minimal work and sacrifice like the guru's say, then we would be the richest country in the world.   But it isn't that way.  I can tell you from my experience it is worth it all though.  I lived well below my means, worked a full time job for years while doing this on the side, persisted when others did not... and now I am enjoying the fruits of my labor.  But for years I was just working hard without seeing any benefit and I had to keep going even though there was no light at the end of the tunnel.  

Second City Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Hanks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Davenport, FL
Replied Feb 13 2017, 08:47

I believe that fear is the tallest hurdle for the people that never buy a property. Even if they have plenty of money saved, sometimes the fear of losing the money in an investment is too great. They "what if" it to death and allow the fear of failure to prevent them from ever entering the game. You have to play in order to win, but if you never get in the game in the first place that in and of itself equals failure. It is a failure to take the chance and see what you are made of.  

User Stats

Votes
Ross Denman
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Feb 13 2017, 08:56

My opinion is a lack of business organization. While I don't believe that you need a full blown business plan, strict operational budget, timeline, scrum board, etc... Just buying a home, rehabbing it, and selling it isn't as straightforward as it seems. There are several hurdles during the process:

• Find the deal - Unless you are marketing or plugged into a community where there are opportunities, it isn't always easy to find the right deals
  • Evaluate the deal - Without professional guidance and research tools, it is difficult for a newbie investor to evaluate and ARV/FMV or create an adequate rehab budget
  • Secondary exit strategies - If things don't go as planned are their other opportunities to exit profitably. Sell before completion, sell retail, sell owner finance, refi and rent, etc. If you go over budget or bit off more than you are equipped to handle what do you do
  • Managing the timeline - So you've purchased a home that seems like a valid investment opportunity. Who's doing the work? Can you get the work done in a timely manner? If you have high holding costs (financing, taxes, insurance, utilities, etc.) the longer you are holding the less money that you are making
  • Selling profitably - How long will it take to sell? At what costs? Will it appraise according to your numbers? Will there be more issues come about at an inspection? Did you figure in realtor commissions?

I think that many people are not equipped to handle all of these steps. That's why it is important to educate yourself and find a mentor. A good mentor will help you evaluate things and identify potential hurdles before they come into play.

People fail because they think it's easy without understanding what the difficulties can be. Once you are familiar properly evaluating a deal and identifying most of the potential obstacles, it becomes fairly straightforward and your profit margins go up considerably. Investing does need to be approached more like a business than just a simple stock trade. It is not usually a passive investment, even when owning rental properties.

User Stats

Votes
Arianne L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Replied Feb 13 2017, 09:01

I think the reason most people "fail" or never start boils down to lacking one of these three things or a combination of them:

A strong "why". 

Persistence. 

Discipline. 

Ask Arianne Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lee S.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Feb 13 2017, 09:21

First off I always question statistics when there is no possible way to gather the data for the referenced statistic.  Is 95% the correct number?  probably, but I have no idea, I would definitely wager it's a big majority.  This doesn't just go for Real Estate investing though, I'm sure the numbers hold true across all entrepreneurial businesses.  It's not a coincidence that we have the "1%", 1 out of 100 can make something happen and the other 99 work for that one.

The reality is that the average person isn't that bright, yeah, I said it.  Apparently that doesn't disqualify you to be president though and unfortunately there is no IQ test to vote, maybe more people should get into politics.

I was in Lowe's yesterday picking up a blind for a rental house I just finished and leased.  The 65 year old lady that was struggling though her shift at Lowe's was cutting my blind.  It came up that this blind was for a rental house and then I got the required response that we have all heard "I would never want to deal with renters yada yada yada".  I had to hold back my chuckle, she didn't recognize the irony of the situation.  Yes, I had empathy for her.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 13 2017, 09:30

Completely agree with @Arianne L. - not having a strong or deep 'why'.  To just make money is not enough.

Michael Gerber, author of the E-Myth  said it best in an interview.  He was asked who he likes to work with and mentor along.  He never picks the student that just wants to earn $x / month in passive cash-flow.  Never.   

The person must align their mission, vision and purpose.  This goes for any endeavor.

If you don't know what you are aiming at, you will hit it every time.  

People fail or drop out from:  Lack of focus.  Lack of a good why.  Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Paul B.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 24 2017, 07:41

Most successful real estate investors could have excelled in a number of other fields. The gurus and seminars often draw people who are broke or unhappy with their lives, and are looking for an easy fix. In many cases, whatever weakness got them in that position (lack of focus, lack of drive, failure to take responsibility for their destiny, etc.) will also make it difficult for them to succeed in real estate. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 27 2019, 13:06

These are all great tips and advice, especially for someone like me who is thinking about becoming a real estate investor.

As a newbie, I would say that there are tons of information, and some are conflicting at best. It is difficult to decipher whose opinions, judgements, and authority are fiduciary.

I do believe it does take money to invest in real estate - not necessarily for a down payment but to have sufficient reserves for the investment (which does not seem to be discussed much). Real estate seems to be capital intensive.

I think having a business plan, being financially ready to invest, and knowing your end-game before starting will put that person in a better position than others. This planning phase at the beginning does not seem to be emphasized enough.

As I read other people's investment stories and talk with other real estate investors, I have noticed that some seem to have unrealistic expectations about real estate investing. This may be part of the reason why some decide to quit pursuing real estate investing, especially when challenges start presenting themselves.

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Oct 25 2022, 19:26

5% of real estate investors succeed because they actually make an effort. The other 95% are just tire kickers. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Oct 25 2022, 20:04

1. Many fail when they RUSH to get ONE property… and often with only ONE it becomes a curse and not a blessing - until you scale. One door will not change your life financially, at least not right away. If appreciation is slow and steady, and no extra liquidity is available, the basic fundamentals of personal finance do catch up to this investor. She or he offloads it, both in satisfaction and exhaustion, never to try again. 

2. Many blame the market. It’s either “oh my god rates are too high!!!” This year… or… “oh my god there’s no inventory “ last year….. 

3. So many never know about the BP culture. Paying for the fundamental knowledge of how to invest is total bull$hi+ and it makes me mad. Yes, there are masterful things to learn but the basics of how to brrrr or flip or wholesale aren’t rocket science and I’m so grateful for the free knowledge available thanks to this platform. Nkt because I don’t want to pay. But because it exudes trust and credibility. 

4. Poor personal finance skills. Similar to point 1 but also could be standalone. 

5. Seeing the success of others and resenting them rather than celebrating them. It’s so mental but if you have stuffed feelings of hatred against the successful people you see you actually are also going to judge your future self for becoming successful and likely sabotage it before you get there. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 25 2022, 20:48

They don't buy low enough 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Llewelyn A.
  • Investor / Broker
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor / Broker
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 25 2022, 21:08

I think the answer to why only 5% actually succeed is that the vast majority of people DREAM about being an Investor. The problem is that it take far more effort to LIVE that dream that it is to wake up from that Dream.

I teach Real Estate Investing on the side and I will tell you 95% of the students are sitting in class dreaming or pretending that they are improving their lives just by attending the class.

In the end, they don't really study.

I give a Spreadsheet exam at the end of a 12 week / 1 class per week session on building a 10 Year Pro-Forma business plan for your Real Estate and I will tell you 95% fail out right.

Being in class is more about dreaming than it is about putting in the effort to learn the skills to be an Investor.

User Stats

Votes
Ashton Hines
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carrollton, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carrollton, TX
Replied Oct 26 2022, 02:43

It was 20 years between the time I read Rich Dad and when I closed my first investment deal. Hundreds of hours spent listening to podcasts and reading books on and off during that time kept the dream alive and prepared me to take the leap when an opportunity came up.

I had received my real estate license about a year earlier to make some extra money but we were hitting a point in our debt and near future expenses that I knew I had to step out and make something happen. When a chance came up for me to tell someone I could help them out by buying their house from them "as-is" they jumped at it. Then I panicked and had to figure out the details of funding etc. But it made me act and it worked. I whole-tailed it to another investor and netted $48K on my first deal. I was hooked and knew I could figure out anything and have done/am doing three more flips and picked up a SFR since.

All of that being said I think you have to get to a place in life where your current situation is more painful than the pain it takes to figure it out. A lot of people are just comfortable enough to justify inaction.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 05:49
Quote from @Toyin Dawodu:

I still find this hard to believe. 95% of would be real estate investors never buy a single house. A few months ago, I ran into a lady who has been going to seminars and REIA for more than ten years. I asked her how many properties she has bought and was shocked to learn.. None... not a single property in 10 years?

Then I begin to research the industry. I found out the failure rate is 95%. Can you imagine if our schools have a 95%

Everyday I ask myself why the failure rate is so high. How is it some many fail in spite of all the information and all the help. Or is there really any help out there? Are the Gurus doing their jobs? or is it the students that are failing the Gurus?

Let's talk about it. Maybe we can help a lot of people on this Bigger Pockets platform.

So if you are an experienced investor, flipper, or buy and hold person? What would you consider the reason for your success?

If you are a newbie or old timer who is really struggling to break through in this business, what do you think is the reason so many don't make it?

Here's my secret sauce. From day one I treated my involvement in real estate as a real business.

This means, I had an advertising budget, a lead generating and follow up process, a back end process and money source and above all an experienced mentor.  My first ad budget was $295.00 credit I got from my local news paper. 

The combination of all the above puts me shoulders above majority of the investors.

After more than 450 deals, everything just seems to fall in place, abundance of leads and lenders throwing money at me.

I actually believe this is possible for a lot of people in our industry. But they probably have to diagnose their problems first.

So what is the real reason 95% of the people fail in as real estate investors? Let's talk.

Hi Toyin! 

I absolutely love this. I am a firm believer that most of the reason is between our ears, and the potentially crippling self limiting beliefs are the biggest problem. It is when people put the self placed “roadblocks” in front of them and are too scared to dip their toes in.

This is something that has been really resonating with me after going to a few 2 and 3 day events from a couple of the local guys in our market recently.

It isn’t necessarily the actual tactical real estate that is the hard part, but the bigger challenge is actually believing that we are capable of doing it and taking action towards that. It is hard to really implement the “fail forward and fast” type of mentality, but when you do, you are off to the races. 

Thank you :) 

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:05

People don't take action. They love the idea of wealth, financial freedom, but don't want to put their own financials on the line. Fake investors, you can sell the dream, the hustle is sold separately 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:11
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

People don't take action. They love the idea of wealth, financial freedom, but don't want to put their own financials on the line. Fake investors, you can sell the dream, the hustle is sold separately 

thats why lottery tickets sell so well.. dream with no effort. 

User Stats

Votes
Landon Whitt
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma city
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma city
Replied Jan 18 2023, 14:47

Love this post. Let's throw this in the mix. Many "investors" over pay for properties that underperform. Differ the maintenance on the property to stop the cashflow bleed and hope for appreciation to save the day. Then gloat about how much they made on the exit meanwhile dragging the neighborhood property values and increasing crime the entire time. At what point is this gonna be called what it really is?

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Valencia
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 18 2023, 15:21

Wow 95% is a high number. I am still new to real estate investing and I'm eager to begin my real estate investing journey and build general wealth for me and my family via real estate. I think many people get analysis paralysis and therefore people will tend to never invest due to the fear of losing money. Thats probably why the lady in the story still has not bought any investment property, and who knows she might still be waiting for the right time. In theory real estate investment sounds like the best way to gain financial freedom but also many people aren't willing to put in the work. So many things that come with being a real estate investor that some people get turned off by the idea and are happy with just buying their forever home and end there. I think its worth the time to and energy as it will pay off and if you end up with a bad deal it will serve as a learning experience. 

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 19 2023, 06:55

Buy and Hold Guy

Resolve, commitment, and determination are necessary.  Best advice I received is think in multiples, fix stuff when it breaks quickly, and first few years probably not going to make any money.  Keep your day job.

Fortunately, this is my 2nd business and my primary business is small construction company.  Natural fit.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 19 2023, 07:21

Lack of down payment, lack of entrepreneurial personality, low tolerance for risk, looking for the magic key that fits their desires, just want to learn, sold "Castles in the sky" with a gibberish of disconnected statements that while true in a plethora of instances do not add up to truth in any one instance, fear of failure meaning not able to take a financial loss without going into poverty, never told up front how much money they will need to spend to buy the investment in addition to paying for the class. HELOCng a personal residence could leave them homeless in the event they fail at this. Some "things" are long shots at paying off for their personality type and they realize that.

Just my 2 cents!