Joshua Thompson
  • Moorpark, CA
Votes |
Buying Now or Wait. What would you do?

Joshua Thompson
  • Moorpark, CA
Posted May 24 2017, 09:41

Hello to the BP family,

I have recently started engulfing myself with real estate knowledge but can't decide to buy now or wait. Given the circumstances what would you do? 

I'm 23 yrs old and just got out of the military last year (I have all my benefits). Through my time in, I save about $50k I'll be comfortable using to invest. I also live in the beautiful but overpriced area of Thousand Oaks, California. I'm going to school and working bringing in on the low side $800 a month. I won't start my GI bill for another 14 months (using it to pursue a higher degree than BA), which is when I'll be entering a 4 year university. Here I'll be making roughly $2400 a month with the GI bill alone. My parents are moving to Georgia (GA) where I want to buy a rental property. Since they are moving me and my girlfriend (soon to be more) will be moving in. She has a career job as a teacher. Starting this September we plan to rent an apartment for a year until the GI bill begins. Once started we will look to buy.

My dilemma is I want to buy a home in GA but don't want to hurt my chances to get a VA loan when looking to buy in CA a year from now. I hate the idea of renting but for the next year, I think it would be best.

That being said would you take the money to BRRRR a property in GA now or wait years down the line to hopefully have a full-time career making more money?

Other things to consider: (please correct any if wrong)

GI bill BAH doesn't count towards income for a loan. Making that one year of work for her and I to be useful

I can leverage the GA home to help get the VA loan in CA. (not for sure how this works)

She has a few college loans (less than $10000)

We decided it's best to not move out of the state 

We plan to start a family in about 3 years

With the VA loan, there is no down payment. My monthly mortgage payments will be higher.

Loading replies...