• Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Large Tree Behind Home

Kevin Phu
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jun 24 2017, 01:57

Good morning BP(1:47am here)! So I am looking at an SFR to potentially be my first property to house hack. There is a large pine tree (I think it's pine) right on the across the property line at the rear corner of the lot. It is very tall and has some thick branches. The tree is also leaning into my property of interest and is above the detached garage.

Of course a major concern is the potential for damages if a branch were to break off. The tree looks pretty strong and healthy but I am no tree expert. Another concern (more of a nuisance) is cleaning the yard from all of the pine needles. 

Would you guys consider this a red flag on the property? How should this detail affect my decision on purchasing the property?

Spoke to a random neighbor who has live in the area for about 60 years and he said previous owner has tried for years to get the neighbor to cut it down but won't and seems to pretty much come to the point of litigation if I wanted the tree down.

Said neighbor is a long time friend of the current owner who is a elderly retired vet and is actually the one keeping an eye on the property while it has been vacant.

Loading replies...