Buy outright or under my LLC?

12 Replies

Hello BP!!! I currently have a found an investment property and I am unsure if I should buy the property under my LLC or just buy it outright? It should be stated that I plan on buying the house with cash, and my LLC has been formed strictly for buying properties, but this would be my first time doing this. I'm just not sure which one makes sense? PLEASE HELP!

@John Morgan It's not that serious. You can buy it in your name, then transfer ownership to the LLC, you can buy it under the LLC name, or you can put it under contract in your name and assign the contract to the LLC at closing. The LLC is owned by you and is only a barrier for litigation if someone sues you and actually wins the lawsuit. Probably not likely in either case. Your insurance coverage is affected if it is in your name or the LLC name. Talk to your agent about the differences. A good liability policy is the first step in protecting you from a lawsuit.

@John Morgan if you're flipping I would just use the LLC then for liability protection. I know some big time flippers use an S corp but that is usually just if you are doing a lot of flips for tax benefits.

Yes it does make a difference that it is a HUD home

You will need to provide proof of funds in the name that you purchase the property. So if your funds are in your personal name you will need to buy under your personal name and vice versa

@Greg

What difference would it make with it being a HUD property?

@John Morgan

A listing agent would more than likely accept proof of funds that didn't match with an explanation 

HUD's Asset Managers will require the proof of funds to match the buyer or it will be kicked back

@Greg

Ok thanks a lot! Very great info!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here