Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Marcello Di Gerlando
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Home Inspection as a renters move-in-inspection checklist?

Marcello Di Gerlando
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Oct 23 2017, 17:26

Hi BP,

Long time no post.

I will be closing on my latest purchase on 25 OCT. 4 Bed, 4 Bath vacation property 10 miles south Breckenridge CO ski resort. Very excited. Happy to hold this one for a few years, add some value with upgrades, VRBO/AirBNB, use it as a second home and then collect on the appreciation in 4 or 5 years. Also mulling over fractional equity ownership for 2nd home buyers looking for affordable Breckenridge vacation home.

I was a able to find a double whammy of distressed buyer and distressed property! This might be my first 100K profit margin. Fingers crossed.

As part of the agreement I will be leasing back the property to the seller at no cost for 2 weeks. 

Here is my concern: Can I, and should I, use my buyers home owner inspection as a renters move-in-inspection checklist?

Negotiations were ruff and the process unconventional. Current owner is challenging and frankly a little wacky. I don't really want to go through the house again while he still occupies it.  I won't be taking rent however, I will be taking a $3500 deposit, and all other standard lease verbiage will apply. 

I don't see any obvious issues with using a home inspection as a renters check-in-list. Also, I will have insurance in place. My concern is that the seller will be resentful and give up any sense of ownership or responsibility after we close. I'm afraid he may sabotage parts of the property out of spite. 

Any feed back would be graciously appreciated. 

Respectfully,

Marcello

Loading replies...